Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Now I'm getting political...

I read this in a newsletter from the Sean Hannity show, and it really struck a cord with me and I believe it is very true. Living overseas in a country like Korea has really given me pause to think about how great and fortunate the USA is, and how lucky and blessed we are. Yes, America does have its faults and there are things we could learn from other countries, but when I compare a decent country like Korea to America I can see a wide gap in lifestyle and the things we have. I wish our president would acknowledge this instead of constantly tearing us down. I can see how wonderful and great the country is that we live in, but more importantly how God has blessed us to have the things we have--because ultimately it is all His.

Can the U.S. Do Anything Right?

After watching the President’s speech this past weekend at Notre Dame, Sean noticed that “The Anointed One,” Barack Obama, never spoke of America’s greatness. {Text of Obama’s Speech - Washington Post}. “Isn’t that something we should talk about?” Sean asked. “Why is it that this is always missing from his speeches?” It seems that when Obama is on his “apologizing for America” tour, he doesn’t realize what the world would look like if it weren’t for the sacrifices made by the United States. “Too many of us view life only through the lens of immediate self-interest and crass materialism; in which the world is necessarily a zero-sum game,” Obama pontificated in his speech. Mr. President, the wealth that has been created through this “crass materialism” has also helped even the poorest in American society. We’re the country that creates the drugs that save and prolong lives. The U.S. has changed the world with the advent of the automobile, jet engines, etc. Even the poorest homes in America have running water and other basic necessities, things those in other countries would only dream of! While there are indeed changes that need to be made in this country, on the whole, America is a country of opportunity and greatness. “I never hear this from this President…ever,” Sean concluded. “All I hear is the constant berating of our country.”

No comments:

Post a Comment